A down-to-earth business and entertainment district of Tokyo that comes alive after the sun goes down, boisterous Shinbashi is home to some of the favorite watering holes of the Japanese working class. The light from tiny bars and izakayas spill out onto the streets, a beacon for off-hours office workers to come in and enjoy a hard-earned drink or two, alongside some sizzling foods, like meaty yakitori skewers and crispy karaage fried chicken. Eat like a local, not like a tourist, and join them on this Shinbashi Food Tour!
This 3-hour Shinbashi Food Tour will guide you through the winding labyrinth of Shinbashi’s food scene and streets, showing you five different food stops for some seriously succulent grilled eats (plus a dessert!) alongside Japanese sake, or rice wine. Experience Japanese soul food like you’ve never had it before, trying Japanese oden, a traditional slowly-simmered dish including spicy fish cakes, boiled eggs, daikon, and other veggies in a light broth. And as the food and drinks flow, so does the conversation. The welcoming izakaya bars bring out a talkative, jovial atmosphere, and you’ll likely want to stay out all night!
Highlights of the Shinbashi Food Tour:
- Find your way around the labyrinth of Shinbashi with a local guide
- Visit five food stops and try oden, succulent yakitori chicken skewers, ramen, and more!
- Share some good eats and drinks with locals and experience a different side to Tokyo nightlife
- Enjoy a traditional sweet treat called taiyaki, a fish-shaped cake filled with sweet bean paste
- Get to know the streets of Shinbashi like a local
- 5 food stops, including yakitori, oden, and ramen
- Tips on Japanese etiquette and culture from an expert
- A beverage of your choice, like smooth Japanese sake
- A scrumptious taiyaki dessert!
- Transportation fee to and from the event location
Minimum of 2 adults (20 years of age and older). If you are a single traveler, please let us know in the additional info section at checkout.
Shinbashi: Home to Tokyo’s first railway terminal, Shinbashi (also known as “Shimbashi”) is now well-known as a district where you can find both business and pleasure. Shinbashi is teeming with cheap restaurants and izakayas that draw in crowds of off-hours salarymen and women, keen to loosen their ties, let down their hair, and enjoy a cold beer or three. An entertainment hub as well as a casual dining paradise with some of Tokyo’s most rustic and relaxed izakayas and gastropubs, Shinbashi is the go-to place to unwind after work. Not to mention, Shinbashi is also just a walk away from Tokyo attractions such as Hibiya Park, Tokyo Tower, and the upscale shopping district of Ginza.
Meeting Location and Meeting Time:
Take the Hibiya Exit from Shinbashi Station if you come by JR Yamanote Line. Or, if you come on the Ginza Subway Line, take the Hibiya Ticket Gate exit from Shinbashi Station. The meeting point is right in front of the decommissioned steam engine on the side with the statue of three ladies (see the photo below).
Address: 2-7-1 Shinbashi
The meeting time is at 4:15 pm. The event starts at 4:30 pm and ends at 7:30 pm.
- This tour is limited to adults of at least 20 years old, as the tour includes bars and izakayas.
- The Shinbashi Food Tour starts strictly on time. If guests do not arrive at the meeting point by the departure time, the tour will begin regardless, and no refund shall be given. This is to guarantee that there is enough time, so everyone can enjoy each food stop. Please be respectful of the other guests, our restaurant partners, and the tour guide’s time.