A staple food in Japanese culture, bento boxes are synonymous with being a nifty lunch-to-go in Japan. Widely sold at storefronts of restaurants and convenience stores, and families often make homemade ones from scratch. With rice and a number of additional sides for variety, bento boxes can be carefully laid out, a beautiful kind of art form skillfully that was considered by the maker. Beautifully arranged in an order that’s a feast for the eyes, these bento box packed lunches are a convenient way of preparing meals to take to school or work. You’ll often picture something cute whenever you hear the word bento, as your packed lunch might have cute animation or comic book characters proudly on the lid. This is the perfect cooking class to bring bento boxes together with cuteness in a style of packed lunch called a kyaraben: a type of cartoon character bento you can make at a Kyaraben: Cartoon Character Bento Making Class in Tokyo.
In this cooking class in Tokyo, you’ll learn how to turn Japanese animation into boxed bento lunch using the fresh ingredients of the season at a kitchen studio in Yotsuya. You’ll learn about the history and culture around a Japanese home-style bento box but with a playful twist. Sip on a refreshing drink before rolling up your sleeves and prepare to create and eat your very own kyaraben character bento (sometimes also referred to as a charaben). With the help of handy new gadgets and old style Japanese tools, get creative in this kyaraben bento making class. You’ll make your very own kyaraben from fresh ingredients, and finish off with a recipe that you can use to recreate it back home.
Highlights of the Kyaraben: Cartoon Character Bento Making Class:
- Learn how to create your bento box artwork while watching a detailed demonstration from your friendly instructor
- Create your own kyaraben character boxed lunch during this creative and challenging bento making workshop
- Get creative using different tools and ingredients to build your cute character design
- Learn about kyaraben and bento box lunch culture in Japan
- Eat your cute creation during the tasting party of the class!
- A 2.5-hour Kyaraben: Character Bento Box Making Class
- An English-speaking cooking instructor
- Ingredients for creating your own kyaraben bento box
- Cooking tools and utensils provided
- Recipes you can take home with you
- Complimentary Japanese tea
- Transportation fees to and from the event location
Maximum of 8 people.
Meeting Location and Time:
This cooking class is held at a cooking studio in Yotsuya.
Address: 2-2 Yotsuya Soshin Bldg. 6F, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0004
The class begins at 11 a.m. so please arrive on time.
- Upon booking, you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours. Once confirmed, present your booking information at the event place.