The Golden District lies in the bowels of Shinjuku, it’s a triangle of tiny sleepless towns: Omoide Yokocho, Kabukicho, and Shinjuku Golden Gai. These districts service the Shinjuku area as three prominent drinking spots in the heart of Tokyo, frequented by locals and visitors alike. The Golden District is known for its tiny bars and restaurants, nestled into back alleys, each with plenty of history, and exciting things to eat and drink.
Experience the lively atmosphere of Shinjuku at night, and wander through the Golden District while eating along the way in this 3-hour Golden Gai Food Tour in Shinjuku. A world away from the shops and offices of Shinjuku, soak up the nostalgia in the rustic Omoide Yokocho, then get a glimpse of Tokyo’s liveliest nightlife in the Kabukicho, often called “The Sleepless Town,” but better known as Shinjuku’s red light district. Bring your best stories to share over some drinks and yakitori skewers at a bar in the Golden Gai, as this tour will leave you with new friends and great memories with food in Shinjuku.
Note: This tour is only for adults aged 20 and older, as the legal drinking age in Japan is strictly 20 years old.
Highlights of the Golden Gai Food Tour in Shinjuku:
- A three-hour night food tour exploring the hidden gems of Omoide Yokocho, Kabukicho, and Shinjuku Golden Gai
- Try several different Japanese local dishes (everyone will love them!) at 3 food stops
- Step back in time and soak up the vintage vibe as we visit the rustic Omoide Yokocho and enjoy a drink over yakitori skewers while dining with locals
- Spot Godzilla among the skyscrapers, the world-famous Killer Kaiju
- Be dazzled by Tokyo’s red light district, Kabukicho
- End the tour with a drink at an authentic izakaya in Shinjuku Golden Gai
- A 3-hour food tour of the nostalgic, lively Golden District in Shinjuku
- Several different Japanese dishes at 3 food stops
- One refreshment
- Transportation fee to and from the event location
Minimum of 2 people. If you are a single traveler, please contact us.
Shinjuku’s Golden District: The Golden District is made up of 3 prominent drinking spots in the rowdy nightlife area of Shinjuku, named Omoide Yokocho, Kabukicho, and the Golden Gai. Rows of tiny bars are intertwined with restaurants in Omoide Yokocho, which literally translates to “memory lane.” Once a venue for street vendors and black market traders in the 1940’s, Omoide Yokocho still has a strong, nostalgic atmosphere today. Tourists and locals alike love walking its tiny alleyways at night, with many people swearing you’ll feel as though you’ve stepped back in time. Be dazzled by the glittering neon street lights and Kabukicho’s lively atmosphere (Shinjuku’s red light district) with plenty of entertainment with endless shops and restaurants. Popular for its tiny bars, karaoke rooms, and a signature packed nightlife, the Golden Gai is home to some of the most unique izakayas in Tokyo. Each bar has a different theme, and only seats a few people at a time. Visit one bar and grab yourself a cold beer or two, and drink it while munching over some yakitori chicken skewers.
Meeting Location and Meeting Time:
Take Yamanote Line and get out at Shinjuku Station. Once you’re in Shinjuku Station, take JR East Exit followed by the exit to Kabukicho. The tour guide will be waiting in front of the Police Box (Koban). The meeting time is at 4:45 p.m. The event starts exactly at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 8:00 p.m.
Additional Information from the Organizer:
- The Golden Gai Food Tour in Shinjuku starts strictly on time. The tour will start even if guests arrive at or after the departure time, and no refund shall be given. This is to guarantee that there is enough time, so everyone can enjoy each food stop. Please be respectful of the other guests, our restaurant partners, and the tour guide’s time.
- To request a Spanish-speaking tour guide, please contact us.