Known for being simple and artistic, Japanese people take great care when it comes to preparing and making their food. They put their heart and soul in every slice, cut, and roll they do as they cook their way to making delectable dishes. In this class, you will be taught the basic of Japanese home cooking from going to the supermarket and selecting the freshest ingredients to serving the dishes you’ve made on the table. What’s unique about this Japanese home cooking class is that you get a glimpse of how Japanese people cook their food with such passion, something that you will surely bring home with you. Get your hands and tummies ready because this will be one of the best cooking classes you’ll ever attend to.
This is a 5 days class. The booking time you select on Tokyo by Food will be your first class. You can arrange your schedule with the instructor after the first class.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Japanese Cooking Supermarket Tour
- Introduction to Japanese Condiments
- Making the Dashi (Soup Stock) from scratch
- Using the Dashi
- Menu – Dashimaki tamago (Japanese Egg Omelet) / Ohitashi (Soy Sauce flavored vegetable) / Miso Soup
Lesson 2: Using the Banno (Almighty) Sauce
- Making the Banno Sauce
- Using the Banno Sauce
- Menu – Vegetables with Sesame Sauce, Daikon Salad, Teriyaki dish of your choice (Chicken, Salmon, or Tofu)
Lesson 3: Using the Tofu
- Tasting Different Kinds of Tofu
- Using the Tofu
- Menu – Vegetables in Tofu sauce, Tofu & Lotus Root Pancakes, Agedashi tofu (Deep fried tofu with vegetables), Tofu Chocolate Pudding, Mixed Rice, Miso Soup
Lesson 4: Using the Miso
- Tasting Different Kinds of Miso and learning about it.
- Using the miso
- Menu – Ground Meat in Miso Sauce (Niku Miso), Mackerel in Miso Sauce (Saba Miso), Carrot Salad with Miso Dressing, Grilled Eggplant with Miso Glaze, Miso PannaCotta, Mixed Rice, Miso Soup
Lesson 5: Recipes upon Request
Please choose from the following or place a request.
- Sushi (Sushi Roll and Sushi Ball)
- Tempura (Vegetables and shrimp)
- Gyudon (Beef Bowl) or Oyako-don (Chicken and egg bowl)
- Gyoza (Fried and boiled gyoza)
- Nabe (Hot pot)
- Sweets (Matcha chiffon cake or wagashi – traditional Japanese sweets)
- Noodles (Udon Noodles and Somen Noodles)
- Learn all the basic techniques and styles of what makes Japanese cooking special
- Learn how to use seasonings, special ingredients, and basic condiments
- Enjoy the creations you’ve made with complimentary soup, dessert and a choice of coffee or tea for drink
All classes are held in a private residence. It’s a 5-minute walk from Fudomae Station (Metro -Mita line or Nanboku line) and a 10-minute walk from Meguro Station (JR Yamanote Line). The exact location and address of the said residence will be given upon the confirmation of your attendance.
Warnings and Special Notes from the Organizer:
- Please be reminded to come to the class on time
- As the house is not childproof, toddlers under the age of 4 are not allowed
- This is a smoke-free residence. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated