The ancient art of Japanese calligraphy, also known as shuji, embodies the beautiful creative expression of the written Japanese language. Also known as shodo, in reference to Chinese calligraphy, with influence from Zen Buddhism, Japanese calligraphy is a beautiful art form of artistic writing that came into its own after the invention of the hiragana and katakana syllabaries. the way of tea goes hand in hand with the way of calligraphy writing, both significant cultural activities in Japan that you can experience during a Matcha Experience and Japanese Calligraphy Class in Tokyo.
This remarkable class highlights the beauty of calligraphy, teaching you stroke techniques and traditional brush stroke etiquette. Learn about the history of calligraphy in Japan and embrace the beauty of each expressive stroke, with inspiration from ancient books as well as modern examples of calligraphy in Japan. With creative juices flowing, pick up your own paintbrush and learn how to write your name in Japanese kanji characters too! During this calligraphy class in Tokyo, you’ll also learn to prepare and make matcha to enjoy while you paint to your heart’s content in a fun, relaxed atmosphere. It’s a wonderful afternoon full of ink, paper, and matcha. Enjoy this wonderful Matcha Experience and Japanese Calligraphy Class in Tokyo, a great learning experience best shared with family and friends!
Highlights of the Matcha Experience and Japanese Calligraphy Class in Tokyo:
- Learn basic Japanese calligraphy writings skills and the history of calligraphy in Japan
- Learn how to write your name in Japanese Kanji!
- Prepare and make matcha to enjoy while you practice painting
- Experience traditional Japanese culture through practicing this ritualistic artform
- English-speaking Japanese calligraphy instructor
- Learn about the history and culture of calligraphy in Japan
- Learn calligraphy painting techniques, practicing as you go with help from your instructor
- Painting tools to create your own Japanese calligraphy
- Utensils and tools to prepare and enjoy matcha green tea
- Transportation fee to and from the event location
A minimum of 2 people is required. If you are a single traveler, please contact us.
Meeting Time and Meeting Location:
The meeting point is at the cooking class location.
This Matcha Experience and Japanese Calligraphy Class is located in between historical Asakusa and Kappabashi Kitchen Town. The exact location and video guide for accessing the cooking class location will be provided upon booking.
- 5 minute-walk from Tawaramachi, Metro Ginza line
- 5 minute-walk from Asakusa station on Tsukuba Express
- 13 minute-walk from Asakusa subway station on Toei Asakusa line
Upon booking, you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours. Once confirmed, present your booking information at the event place.