The kitchen is the heart of the home, and at its center is the teppan (metal griddle) around which friends and family gather to make dishes like okonomiyaki, a style of savory cabbage pancake). Sometimes referred to as “Japanese pizza,” okonomiyaki is not only one of Japan’s most loved dishes, but also a fun communal activity for groups. There are two distinct styles of okonomiyaki in Japan, Hiroshima style okonomiyaki and Osaka style okonomiyaki. This cooking class will equip you will the skills and tools to tackle the latter when in Tokyo!
A savory Japanese pancake consisting of a mix of flour, eggs, and shredded cabbage, as well as a couple of other key ingredients, fried on the griddle and topped with generous amounts of sauce and mayo, okonomiyaki is a vehicle for all of your favorite ingredients. Like a pizza, you can toss in some meat, seafood, or extra veggies, to customize your own Osaka style okonomiyaki. The Osaka Style Okonomiyaki Cooking Class is also vegetarian-friendly, so you can be free to make your own okonomiyaki with the same basic batter recipe, and enjoy a totally meat-free meal!
And as an extra bonus, the ingredients for Osaka style okonomiyaki are very accessible all over the world, so when you take home the recipe, you’ll be able to recreate Osaka style okonomiyaki in your own kitchen! This is one skill that is sure to make you popular among your family and friends. It is truly the best souvenir to take home from your Tokyo trip!
Highlights of the Osaka Style Okonomiyaki Cooking Class:
- 2-hour cooking class with vegetarian options and no additives or MSG
- Make Osaka style okonomiyaki with the guidance of a Japanese cooking instructor
- Learn to flip okonomiyaki like a pro
- Enjoy 2 complimentary Japanese side dishes
- Sip some tea or Japanese sake alongside your meal
- Take home the recipe and wow your family and friends!
- A 3-hour cooking class making your Osaka style Okonomiyaki
- English-speaking Japanese cooking instructor
- Ingredients for okonomiyaki and 2 side dishes
- Utensils and tools provided
- Recipes in English to take home
- Complimentary green tea and sake
- Transportation fee to and from the cooking class location
Minimum of two people. Great for family and friends! If you are a single traveler, please contact us.
Kappabashi: Between Ueno and the traditional downtown district of Asakusa, Kappabashi is the place to go for all of your kitchen needs, it’s any chef’s absolute dream. Kappabashi Street or Kappabashi Kitchen Town is famous for specializing in everything a restauranteur could possibly ever need, with dozens of shops selling Tokyo’s best Japanese knives, kitchenware, and utensils. All the way through to tables and lamps and signage, Kappabashi is the go-to place for all things cooking and food, with the exception of fresh ingredients. In fact, Kappabashi is also known for being the place to buy plastic food samples, delicious looking replicas that are often displayed in restaurant windows, used to entice customers. Impressively realistic, these faux foods are made to order, and despite being inedible they will surely make your eyes widen and your mouth water.
Meeting Time and Meeting Location:
The meeting point is at the cooking class location. This cooking class in Tokyo is located in between historical Asakusa and Kappabashi Kitchen Town. The exact location and video guide for accessing the cooking class location will be provided upon booking.
- 5-minute walk from Tawaramachi on the Metro Ginza Line
- 5-minute walk from Asakusa Station on the Tsukuba Express
- 13-minute walk from Asakusa Subway Station on the Toei Asakusa Line
Upon booking, you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours. Once confirmed, present your booking information at the event place.