Fish is almost unavoidable in Japan, it plays a huge part of the Japanese diet. Always has, always will. Japanese people take their seafood very seriously, and in copious amounts too. Of course, you’ll undoubtedly find it in sushi and sashimi, but fish and seafood is also widely found in donburi rice bowls, soups, and more. Fresh, healthy, and delicious, fish is an important part of Japanese cuisine and found everywhere in Japan.
Knives and tools in Japan are renowned for their quality designs and careful craftsmanship, an essential part of slicing the perfect piece of sashimi. Learn some fish cutting skills for yourself in a Tokyo Fish Cutting Class, where a professional fisherman will guide you in English to make your own seafood donburi bowl! Lead by a professional fisherman, Toshiya Moriyama, this class will teach you all about fish cutting, cleaning, and preparation techniques.
With years of experience, Toshiya Moriyama started out his career as a chef of Japanese cuisine and was a hobbyist fisherman on the side. Over the years, he grew to love the sea, eventually deciding to make the full-time switch and become a professional fisherman. With a love of the ocean, Toshiya Moriyama also works as a marine journalist and photographer. This rare class only comes once in a lifetime, and Your multi-talented fish cutting instructor is armed with years of knowledge and experience in preparing high-quality seafood, it’s something that fish-lovers and cooking enthusiasts wouldn’t want to miss! Sharpen up your knives and your wits, a Tokyo Fish Cutting Class with a Professional Fisherman is a wonderful experience to learn some new knife skills to use in your kitchen at home.
Highlights of a Tokyo Fish Cutting Class:
- Learn all about cutting, cleaning, and preparing fish with a professional fisherman, Toshiya Moriyama
- Gain knowledge about knife skills using professional knives and tools
- Eat a delicious sashimi bowl made from fish you’ve cut yourself!
- An English-speaking professional fisherman
- Learn about sushi and the cutting, cleaning, and preparation of fish and knife skills in Japan
- Fish and tools to practice your own fish cutting skills hands-on
- Complimentary sake and green tea
- Transportation fee to and from the event location
Minimum of five people. If you are a single traveler, please contact us.
Meeting Time and Meeting Location:
The meeting point is at the cooking class location.
This Tokyo Fish Cutting Class is located in between historical Asakusa and Kappabashi Kitchen Town. The exact location and video guide for accessing the cooking class location will be provided upon booking.
- 5 minute-walk from Tawaramachi, Metro Ginza line
- 5 minute-walk from Asakusa station on Tsukuba Express
- 13 minute-walk from Asakusa subway station on Toei Asakusa line
Upon booking, you will receive a confirmation within 24 hours. Once confirmed, present your booking information at the event place.