Explore the Tsukiji Market, popularly known as the “kitchen of Tokyo,” in this unique food tour experience, complete with sushi and sake. While the Tsukiji Fish Market auction has been moved to Toyosu, Tsukiji market is still as vibrant as ever and boasts some of the freshest fish in Tokyo. Experience the wide variety of Japanese foods, from finger foods to the most culinarily exquisite bites that the market has to offer. This tour also takes you along to the mini wholesale area, where you can still see different types of fishes and foods being sold, and eat the freshest tuna. At the end of the tour, you’ll be taken to an authentic sushi restaurant and try the high-quality sushi available. And what pairs better with sushi than Japanese sake!
Note: While the Tsukiji Fish Market has been closed since October 2018, and relocated to Toyosu, the Tsukiji Outer Market still offers the freshest seafood straight from Toyosu and the same scrumptious bites!
Highlights of Tokyo Tsukiji Market Tour
- Explore the variety of fresh and seasonal dishes with our knowledgable local guide
- Taste the freshest tuna at the mini wholesale area
- Learn about the background/history of the area with our local guide
- Put your knowledge of Japanese food culture and etiquette to the test!
- Enjoy fresh sushi at a local restaurant
- Say “Kanpai!” with the group as you enjoy Japanese sake
- Meet at the main gate of Tsukiji Hongaji-Temple
- Tour the Tsukiji Outer Market, tasting as you go
- Explore the Tsukiji Uogashi wholesale market
- Fresh sushi at a local restaurant
- Japanese sake-drinking experience
What is Included in the Price:
- A three-hour food tour of Tsukiji Market with an English-speaking guide (Chinese-speaking guide available upon inquiry)
- Tips about Japanese history, etiquette, and culture from an expert
- A bottle of water
- Food (menu below)
- Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelet)
- Fried fish cake
- Fresh tuna
- Sample dashi soup and katsuobushi
- Japanese green tea
- Japanese sake
- Fresh sushi
The early-morning hustle and bustle and the spectacle of whole fish being expertly carved right before your eyes, combined with the array of local delicacies you can’t find anywhere else, make Tsukiji Market a must-see in Tokyo. While the Tsukiji Fish Market’s auction was relocated to Toyosu in October 2018, many of Tsukiji Outer Market’s street vendors and restaurants remained. And since the seafood sold at Tsukiji Market is delivered directly from Toyosu Fish Market, Tsukiji Market is still one of the best places in Tokyo for fresh seafood. Additionally, Tsukiji Market has such a long and rich history in Japan, and some market shops and restaurants have been in business for over 100 years!
Meeting Location and Meeting Time:
The meeting point is the main gate of Tsukiji Hongaji-Temple. The meeting time is 8:15 am. The event starts exactly at 8:30 am and ends at 11:30 pm.
Special Notes from the Organizer:
- The food tour starts strictly on time. The tour will start even if guests arrive at or after the departure time, and no refund shall be given. This is to guarantee that there is enough time, so everyone can enjoy each food stop. Please be respectful of the other guests, our restaurant partners, and the tour guide’s time.
- The minimum drinking age is 20 years in Japan. We will prepare alternative drinks for participants under 20 years old.
- Please notify us in advance if there are any food restrictions or allergies (e.g gluten allergy, vegetarian, etc.).
- Please be reminded to wear comfortable shoes because there will be a lot of walking.
- If you would like a Chinese-speaking tour guide, please write this in the order notes section of the payment page.