A bento is a special kind of Japanese packed lunch that’s not only delicious but also colorful and healthy. It typically consists of rice, a main dish, and two side dishes. In this fun Healthy Japanese Bento Lunch Box Making Class, the experienced cooking instructor will teach you how to make your own delicious and nutritious Japanese bento. Along the way, you’ll master the basics of Japanese home cooking and learn to make dishes like tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled egg omelet), onigiri rice balls, and your choice of main dish, like crispy tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) or teriyaki chicken. Lastly, you’ll decorate your lunch box using different food props and techniques to make it look as delicious as it tastes!
There are several important points to consider when making a Japanese bento lunch box. For one thing, the container must have a partition for the carbohydrate portion (traditionally rice, but pasta or bread can also be used) so it does not get saturated with other flavors. The main dish is usually a protein, like crispy chicken karaage (Japanese fried chicken), fish, or hamburger, while the side dish can consist of sautéed veggies or salad. Lastly, there should be an overall balance of protein (meat), carbohydrates (rice), and fiber (vegetables) that gives Japanese bento its variety of color, flavor, and nutrition. The cooking instructor will cover all this and more in the Healthy Japanese Bento Lunch Box Making Class!
Highlights of the Healthy Japanese Bento (Lunch Box) Making Class:
- Learn how to make a Japanese bento lunch box in this hands-on cooking class
- Learn about the basics of Japanese home cooking and Japanese cooking ingredients
- Get creative with plating and bento arrangement
- Enjoy a meal with the cooking instructor and the rest of the class
- Expertise of a Japanese cooking instructor
- Recipes and instructions in English
- All cooking ingredients and tools will be provided, including apron and recipe printout
- Disposable bento box will be provided, but students are welcome to bring their own
- Your choice of one main dish:
- Tori tsukune (mini chicken burger with teriyaki sauce)
- Karaage (Japanese fried chicken)
- Mini tonkatsu (crispy, deep-fried pork cutlet)
- Teriyaki salmon or chicken
- Ginger pork
- Stir-fried tofu with vegetables
- Tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omelet)
- 3 vegetable side dishes (green, red, yellow)
- Onigiri (rice balls)
- Transportation fees to and from the event
Minimum of two, maximum of six participants.
If you are a single traveler, please contact us.
All classes are held in a private residence, located a 5-minute walk from Fudomae Station (Tokyo Metro: Mita line or Nanboku line) and a 10-minute walk from Meguro Station (JR Yamanote Line). The exact location and address of the residence will be given upon the confirmation of your attendance.
Additional Information from the Organizer:
- Please be reminded to come to the class on time
- As the house is not childproof, toddlers under the age of 4 are not allowed
- This is a smoke-free residence. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.